Friday, July 16, 2010

Movie Review: The Human Centipede (First Sequence)


The Human Centipede (First Sequence) (2010, Tom Six, Projected Blu-ray) - 9.0
A mad surgeon in Germany takes two American women and a Japanese man captive, and creates a “Siamese triplet” by lining them up and sewing their mouths to another’s asshole (here’s the diagram). And that’s the whole plot. When I heard about it, I worried that it’s high concept wouldn’t be able to stay entertaining through a feature length running time, and I read as much in a couple of reviews, but I was actually pretty satisfied and never bored. I was a little disappointed that aside from a couple of good, gross effects shots, it’s not especially graphic. There’s nothing in the movie that will gross you out any more than you already are just from hearing about it. I was pleased, though, that the movie had a definite sense of humor about itself, as too much seriousness could’ve ruined it. The doctor, who looked like Lance Henriksen doing an Udo Kier impression, was brilliantly over-the-top and delightful to watch. And the two girls, before the end of their speaking roles, were also fucking great and really funny. I really liked the ending, too. Very fun movie.

05/15/10: Projected Blu-ray

No comments:

Post a Comment